Thursday, May 24, 2007

Not Exactly the Mother-of-the-Year Nomination


"I hate socks!" she stood feet shoulder-width apart, hands on her hips, and her upper body pointed at me like a missile about to launch.

"I know, sweetie," I replied as calmly as I could. I wanted her to believe that I felt her pain.

"You can't wear flip-flops to school. It's against school rules."


"Yes I can. You can't make me wear my sneakers!"


"You're right, I can't. But if you try to wear your flip-flops I'll bring your socks and sneakers to school with us and give them to your teacher. You can work it out with her."


Silence. Her eyes narrowed, her little jaw clenched. A burst of frustration shot out of her flared nostrils.


"I don't know why you need to be mean to me Every. Single. Day. Of. My. Life," she shot back at me as she launched her flip-flops into the air and stomped off.


It's my job?

No comments: